By Marc Simmons
New Mexico Historical Review, April 1964, pages 101-110
1520-1522: Aided the Cortez campaigns against the Aztecs
After 1542: Legend that Tlascalan Indians with Coronado elected to remain in New Mexico ...
..they constructed a town with a chapel on the site of Santa Fe
1598: Gregorio de Tlascala came to New Mexico with Antonio de Espejo
"At least on of the Franciscans with Onate, it is recorded,
brought a Tlascalan assistant from the south,
and others may have done likewise."
"... the Tlascalans seemed to have gravitated
to their own ward or barrio of Analco in Santa Fe..."
1680: "the Tlascalans suffered along with the Spaniards.
... their houses and chapel were burned by the enemy...
With the Spanish withdrawal, the Tlascalans retreated
to their new homes at El Paso."
1728: "... an Indian Juan de Leon Brito identified as
'a Mexican', and settler of the ward of Analco...
Twitchell concludes that the Britos were
The Britos were the ancestors of the Arguello and Leiba families
who were among the 12 original families of the 1751 Trampas Land Grant.
San Miguel Mission, the oldest church in Santa Fe, is in the Analco district.
Juan de Leon Brito, son of Juan Brito & Antonia Ursula Duran,
made adobes for the reconstruction of the
San Miguel Chapel in Santa Fe in 1710.
His ancestral property was in the Analco district of Santa Fe.
Analco means "the other side of the river"
Page updated March 15, 2009